Tuesday, December 15, 2009

My Life in the Past Week

For the last 7 days there has been Holiday Cheer and Merriment and excitement for a break and chance to go home soon! I look forward to seeing friends and family while I'm in Ohio for 10 days starting on the 23rd!! Only one more week. 5 more days of work. 7 more days in Bmore.

I'm beginning to really get the hang of this place. In the past couple days alone I've gotten a real taste of this city. Along with numerous Christmas parties that consist of wearing a tacky sweater, I witnessed the kick off to the Christmas season by the Lighting of the Washington Monument (yes, Baltimore has it's own-not the one in DC), which included a laser show and fireworks. I've seen 2 guys get arrested and pulled out of their car. One night last week on the way home a police officer stopped Kristin and I, asked what we were doing walking down this street and ended up giving us a ride home while scoffing at our naivety for being volunteers and choosing to live in this neighborhood, even in this city. It was a strange experience. Also, just being with some of the housemates here and the interactions in the kitchen where everyone congregates has been a riot. Life here is funny. Strange funny. But still enjoyable! Baltimore is starting to form a soft spot in my heart.

One of my housemates, Joseph, wants to have an elaborate feast this weekend for everyone living in RHHP. A few days ago he already started decorating the dining room for this event which is just stupendous! I'll take pictures and allow everyone to see these great things soon!

I also had the realization today that Baltimore is a cool place and there are some really great people here. Today for lunch Anita treated me at an Arts Cafe and I met Kevin, the guy who owned it. He was such a nice man and had a young joyful soul. He said his parents sent him to an all girl college in Ohio and it was torture for him. But, he got free school because he was a minority. I think about growing up and what my life will be like and I hope I am full of joy always. I wonder, I wonder...

Wow this entry is very jumpy and all over the place. Welcome to my mind, this is how I operate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers