Thursday, November 12, 2009

The City of Baltimore

This is an excerpt for Beth's blog. Don't worry, I got her permission to re-blog this part of her post:

As a mural at a playground down the road suggests, Baltimore would say: “I need a hug.” (see below)

Let’s see… if Baltimore could say anything I think it would go a little something like this:

“Don’t be afraid of me. Although I appear a little rough around the edges, just ignore the rats and cockroaches and look at me deeply. Let your gaze fix upon my odd and beautiful mess of abandoned buildings and littered alleyways. Look around. Close your eyes for long periods of time so that when you open them, you get to be surprised over and over again by the vast diversity and profundity of stories, lives, and experiences that are had in my streets. Walk confidently, speak loudly, keep your head up and be comfortable in your own skin. There is beauty everywhere: search for it, find it, tell people about it. Give me a chance; get to know me and I might just surprise you.

(After you are done doing this, please hug me and bathe me, because God knows, I need a hug…and a shower).”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers