It’s funny the little things that make me feel that much more like an independent adult. With community being something that’s very important to me, I’ve found myself doing a lot with others, and not on my own. I don’t think this is a bad thing, it means good company during everyday tasks and routine. However, when the opportunity arises for me to do something on my own, I am excited to take it. Maybe I’m naïve, maybe I’m just eager to grow up, but either way these solo moments bring me joy and empowerment in feeling like my own person.
So, after that lovely introduction to what I’m thinking, the recent activity that has gotten me excited about adulthood is riding the bus. That’s right, public transportation. I live close enough to work that I can walk, and I also walk with Kristin (good company exhibit A). We have a car that is shared and used for most activities such as grocery shopping and driving around the city. That is usually done with others, but a few times I’ve driven by myself and it’s been a freeing experience. Anyway, back to the bus.
Last night I stayed late for work to help with an Art class that happens once a month. It is over at 9pm so obviously it’s dark. This is only the second time I’ve stayed this late, and before I got a ride home, but the car was in use this time, so my options were, hang out at Project PLASE for who knows how long until someone can pick me up, or take the bus which stops 2 blocks away from the house. I chose the bus. We’ve been told not to be out at night by ourselves, but it wasn’t too terribly late and I ended up not feeling like I was alone.
I will admit I was a little nervous for the walk from the bus stop to the house, but for the rest I didn’t feel scared. I prayed during art class that I would just get home safe. I totally saw God working right when I stepped outside and began my trek to the bus stop. The art teacher was going to the same stop, so we walked together. We got to the stop and there were 2 others there, a woman on her cell phone, and a man sitting on the bench. The woman hung up and came over to me and explained that she was on the phone with a friend who was on the other side of the street. They call each other when they see the bus coming b/c they are heading in opposite directions, and that way they can know how much longer it’ll be. She then proceeded to tell me that I should call a friend while I’m waiting/on/walking home from the bus so in case anything happens that friend can call the cops. She also added, “I usually don’t hang up, but I saw you here and I wasn’t sure about that guy (the one sitting). You should be careful on the bus, it’s not safe around here. But, ya gotta make money somehow.” Interesting though, considering I’m a volunteer and not making money to begin with. :) She was very nice and I thanked God for her. I’m so impressed that strangers are so kind. I know I look out of place, being the only Caucasian woman on the bus and have “I DON’T KNOW WHAT I’M DOING” stamped across my forehead, but the people I’ve run into have been so helpful and non-threatening. I find this to be a blessing!
The ride on the bus was uneventful, and on the short walk up to the house I called my friend Devra with the notion that she wouldn’t answer. I was right and talked to her voicemail for about 5 mins which I think is humorous because most of it was “umm…yeah, so…I don’t know…” but did make me feel safer. Luckily nothing happened and I got inside I had a rush of liberation wash over me and skipped up the steps to the kitchen! What a great growing up life experience!
Wednesday, November 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment