Sunday, June 13, 2010

Continuous Flow

These past 10 months or so have been part of a really great learning year. I've had a lot of new experiences. Seen a lot of different things that are such an intricate part of this world. I don't know if I'd be the best at verbally explaining everything I feel about this place I've called home since September, but as I've come to understand myself better, I know that it's ok. I will try my best in this blog to make sense to my audience. I'm not even sure who you are, but enjoy!

I've been faced with poverty every day. It's so blatantly screaming in my face whenever I walk out the door. If I go to work, or to a fun event, or driving down the street. It's everywhere. There are so many connecting factors as to why this is a huge issue such as illiteracy and systemic family violence, that it sometimes seems so hopeless. Being able to see it and live with it has been a way for me to really know what poverty is. Just reading about it in books is not enough.

This is something I will take with me for the rest of my life I think. But memories fade and life changes, making the past a blur. I don't want to move on from here to a place where none of this will seem real anymore, and just a figment of my imagination. I want to enjoy life and try new things until I'm ready to settle somewhere, but where I'll go I don't know. If anyone has suggestions please feel free to send them my way.

As much as I've soaked in while in Baltimore, I'm still learning. I'm still figuring out who I am and how to express myself. I think it's so important to have freedom to share your emotions, feelings and thoughts with the world and know that you're safe doing it. If you don't you're cheating yourself and others from knowing who you really are. While spending my time at work with the GED class I was able to share these thoughts with the women, and most of them were so impressed by what I had to say. I hadn't prepared anything beforehand (which is something I usually do), so I wasn't sure what would come out. Being able to inspire them with my words was a beautiful moment, since they inspire me every time I'm with them. I want to remember what we talked about and never forget it. I want to go from here and know that even if the future is unclear, I can still love life and keep learning. I also want to encourage everyone I meet to find a way they are comfortable speaking their truth.

This is what I want in life and I will be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers