It's been quite a while since a real post. I don't know how much motivation I have right now to make this great, since hunger and anticipation for dinner, while also having just watched Tuesday night's episode of LOST on hulu.com, I am distracted. Ugh! LOST is a whirlwind of emotions!!! Hmm..I'm glad I got that out. I guess.
So, to get back on track: life. Life is happening right now. As we speak, or better yet as I type. It's not tomorrow or the next day or yesterday or the day before. It's today, it's now. I've been really struggling with staying present in the moment. I keep fast-forwarding to September, when I'm technically done here in Baltimore. When the newbie volunteers come along and everyone's moving on to the next step in life. When I can get a break from being over-worked and pulled in so many different directions. When I can finally it can finally be "today" again.
And then I heard some wise words from Connie the GED instructor who I help at Project PLASE. As I was explaining to her what else I do (which I didn't even completely explain because I never remember all the positions I seem to hold off the top of my head), and adding in the insecurities of when I first started because I didn't know what I was doing since I have no previous work experience. Unless you count sitting behind a counter reading a book at my campus bookstore or taking orders in the Driv-Thru lane at McDonald's, I sure don't however. Up until recently I've thought I'm not cut out for a job like this because I don't really know what I'm doing and don't have any formal training. And after hearing from one of the counselors that I would make a great Social Worker and several others that I'm teachable and how the learning curve always goes up the longer you stay at one place, has made me see on-the-job training as a much more valuable way of getting the skills that are necessary.
Well, after that lengthy explanation of where I currently am with work, and getting back to the words of wisdom you're all patiently waiting for from the one and only Ms. Connie Moore: "You are being too hard on yourself." Yes, these are beautiful words to hear. This sentence was freeing for me and made helped me relax about life.
Life is only as big of a deal as you make.
Well, there was more motivation than I expected that came out of these fingers to type away into the night and finish this blog entry. I hope you enjoy and remember:
Wherever you go, there you are.

No comments:
Post a Comment