This is the title of a book I am currently reading.
Yes, I am in introvert. This does not mean that I am antisocial, don't like people or activities, am shy, awkward, self-centered or narcissistic. On the contrary, I am very much geared toward being aware of others and self. Introverts brains are wired much differently and information is processed in a more complex way. I look at the possible outcomes of situations and how they will effect everyone involved and this usually goes unnoticed by the extroverted majority. Not that being an extrovert is a bad thing, there are just more of you in this world. 75% of you to be exact. This means introverts are at a disadvantage here!
But, I think it is so important to know that as an introvert, it is not a negative thing. It's just different, and I am normal by my standards. I need time by myself or with a few others to recharge and reflect in my own thoughts and not with large groups of people (which ends up being an energy drainer, even if I am having fun). I get overwhelmed if I have something to do non-stop for days without a break. I dislike initially meeting people and having to deal with small talk and chit-chat. But I love getting to know people on a personal level and having a deeper relationship with them. I don't need a ton of acquaintances, only a few very trusted friends. I don't like talking about mundane topics like the weather or "where'd you go to college? what did you study?" Blah! One can only talk about things like this so much and get bored. So an example of this would be, I don't like introducing myself to new people, I would much rather be introduced by someone else. Not that I use others as a crutch, I am perfectly able to do things on my own.
Some other interesting facts about being an introvert (I think, at least) are that we do not speak our thoughts as they come to us, but instead we take time and think about what our thoughts are and what they really mean before talking about them. And when we finally do speak them out loud it helps to bring them full circle in understanding what's on our mind. We need to know about a topic fully before we feel comfortable to talk with others in depth about it.
Introverts can focus on one thing for a long time and don't work well with interruptions because they break our concentration. I also am someone who doesn't like a lot of options because then I get overwhelmed when thinking about each and everyone of them. I like to have a focused end point, not that it needs to be planned or structured. I just like to know what I want and then go for it.
I think these are such important things to know for all introverts and extroverts alike. Being an introvert is so fabulous! And really understanding what it means is even better! I will have more to say about this I'm sure, I still need to finish the book.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment